Today is my grandma's funeral. I am going to be surrounded by the best family in the whole world...mine! I love my family so much I really can't even express it in words. It is a funny feeling to be celebrating on one hand and grieve on the other, but it is somewhat a pleasant combination. To remember my gram as she was, to picture in my minds eye where she is now, but to feel the loss in my heart now that she isn't physically here to hug me. It is kind of a roller coaster ride of emotions to feel in a week. But in lieu of today I wanted to write my own top ten list for the occasion. So here goes,
Top 10 reasons I love my grandma
1. Her cereal cabinet.
2. She always looked beautiful and taught me it is okay to feel good about your insides and your outsides. One word: Lipstick.
3. Her devotion to the gospel. She was doing name extractions until she couldn't walk to her desk anymore.
4. The fact that I couldn't go on a trip without looking in every shop for thimbles and spoons until I found just the right one for her collection.
5. Her kisses and her hugs.
6. The way she adored my little Claire Jane...and I am pretty sure she is going to kiss my next one goodbye before it gets here.
7. Her beautiful cross stitching and crocheting she made especially for each and every one of us.
8. Her never ending supply of treats (pretzels, ginger snaps, ice cream) for the littles...she never forgot them!
9. The way she would light up when we would come for a visit, and that she was the hub for information in our family! If you wanted the goods, go to grandma!
10. The way she loved...I hope I can emulate her in every way. Man I will miss her.
2. She always looked beautiful and taught me it is okay to feel good about your insides and your outsides. One word: Lipstick.
3. Her devotion to the gospel. She was doing name extractions until she couldn't walk to her desk anymore.
4. The fact that I couldn't go on a trip without looking in every shop for thimbles and spoons until I found just the right one for her collection.
5. Her kisses and her hugs.
6. The way she adored my little Claire Jane...and I am pretty sure she is going to kiss my next one goodbye before it gets here.
7. Her beautiful cross stitching and crocheting she made especially for each and every one of us.
8. Her never ending supply of treats (pretzels, ginger snaps, ice cream) for the littles...she never forgot them!
9. The way she would light up when we would come for a visit, and that she was the hub for information in our family! If you wanted the goods, go to grandma!
10. The way she loved...I hope I can emulate her in every way. Man I will miss her.

Another little side note about gram, we all worried about our kids pulling and tripping on her oxygen tube and she would always say, "they can't hurt a thing" or "Katie, she is just fine". Claire loved building tracks on her floor and dancing crazily to "I'm a little tea pot" in her living room. Basically whatever wouldn't kill them she would let them do it....hence the socks. Grandma had latex glove boxes everywhere in her house that the nurses used for the last two weeks and Claire would always find them and take a million out. Of course, grandma allowed it...even when Claire thought they should become socks. Sweat socks! She put them on her feet and waved goodbye to gram and they traveled all the way home to the T-town McDonalds like that. Needless to say that was a treat! Thanks grandma!

8 comments:
Thanks for sharing Katie, you are great. Good luck with things today...so sorry for the loss, but I am sure your next child could not start out better than with a kiss from gram. You know what they say, "if you start right you will go right!" We miss you guys...tell you hubby howdy for me.
P.S. I tagged you on my blog. -Kate
I'm sending love and prayers your way!
What sweet memories. You are a lucky girl to have such great memories of your Grandma. It is funny how funerals are such a special time-some of my favorite times with family. I hope that all goes well today. I will be praying for you.
Katie, so sorry about your loss! It is so hard to lose a grandparent, I have had to say good-bye to 2 grandpa's, and it is definitely a bitter sweet experience. I hope you are doing well, and that you had a good day. And I will be sure to keep you and your fam in my thoughts and prayers.
Oh, Katie. My heart is so full for you. Thanks for sharing the things you love about your grandma and the sweet story about Claire and her below. How wonderful that you had her in your life and will continue to now in a different way. She's beautiful, and it's so refreshing to hear that you can let her go with peace and feel happiness, even though she's gone. The Gospel is amazing. I love it! We'll keep your family is our prayers.
Sorry to hear about the loss of your grandma. That is a hard thing to go through. At least you know you will get to see her again someday. Hope you are coping okay. Just remember Heavenly Father is watching over all of your family especially at this time in your lives.
Sorry about your loss. She sounds like she was a really great example of love and kindness. Love Claire's socks!! :)
Post a Comment