Thursday, September 25, 2008

Loreal # 815

My beautiful Grammy on Claire's blessing day.
I visited Gram today. She has a hospital bed in her living room and is sleeping most of the time because of the morphine she is receiving for the pain. As I walked into the room and saw her sleeping in her bed I was overcome with such love and happiness to know that she will be my Grandma for all eternity. What a blessing the Gospel of Jesus Christ is in my life! I was able to sit at her side and just hold her hand, and she would squeeze it now and then just to let me know she knew I was there.

Then it happened...my little Claire Jane came into the room with her animal crackers and looked at Grammy and promptly removed my hand from Grams and slipped her little hand inside. Grandma's eyes opened and she gave Claire a smile, my heart about burst in my chest...what a sweet love Claire has for this amazingly beautiful grandma we both share. Then Claire patted grandma's arm and looked at me and said "shhhhhhh, night night grammy." At this point tears are streaming down my face. After that she wanted to walk her animal crackers up and down grandma's arm and bed so I let her get down and go find the little tea pot she loves to play with.

I will remember that forever...I still remember the sweet words my grandpa whispered in my ear the last time I talked to him. Those are the moments that shape your whole life. I really couldn't ask for a more beautiful life than the one I have. I love my family, I love the Lord, and I am so grateful to know I am a daughter of God. I am determined to live each and every day to the very fullest and let the special people in my life know how much I love them.

* Just as I was about to leave my grandma said to me, "Tell Kathy, (my mom) I need my lipstick." And I was off to get her Loreal #815 ginger spice. It made my entire day.

9 comments:

dustjen said...

Oh katie, that is an amazing story. I know how hard this is. We were in the very same spot with my Grandpa and we had to say Good-bye to him as he layed there because we all knew he was leaving. We were blessed with the chance to say goodbye and I love you.
It is so hard to say goodbye to our beloved grandparents. i hope you will all be Ok.

Jon and Melissa said...

I love when we get to experience some tender mercies from the Lord. I think that kids are more conected to Heaven than we know.

jason and michelle clarke said...

What a sweet grandma you have. I love that she loves her lipstick. That's awesome!

kevin and angie said...

Oh Katie, your Grandma sounds like one AMAZING woman!! How lucky that Claire has been able to get to know her as well. What a sweet moment to cherish and remind Claire of as she gets older. It is so hard to have to say good-bye, but we are SO lucky to know that it will only be for a short time.

Shannon said...

So Sweet. I got a lump in my throat reading that. Little Claire is so loving and I know just where she gets that! The gospel and plan of happiness is such a blessing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Katie. What a special memory. You have shared so many wonderful things about her in the past. And the love Claire has for her too…no doubt you and J are doing a fine job with our favorite niece!

Jill said...

oh that was sweet. You have me tearing up. Isn't it amazing how much little kids know.

Emily said...

Grandma and Claire... both so close to Heaven! Although these past few weeks have been hard, it's easy to see the blessings and to feel the strength of the gospel lifting us all up... sure love you cute cuz!

Jen said...

I hope you're doing okay... I went through this exactly a year ago with my grandpa. I love you, and I'm so sorry I've been out of touch with you and the world the last week or so!