Friday, April 10, 2009

Use this chance to be heard...

(Yes, the title of my post are lyrics to one of my favorite Muse songs.)

It is funny when you have one of those times in your life when you sit back and think wow, something has to change....I have to change. Oprah was my catalyst today, and not in a good way.

I was doing some innocent channel surfing whilst beanie making and I stopped on a little talk show called Oprah. You might have heard of it. I was crocheting along and when the words that were spoken on her show registered in my brain my head snapped up and my jaw dropped. My thoughts were, "You have GOT to be kidding me!" I was instantly shocked and sickened by the topic and the information that was spewing from my television. I won't mention the topic and I hate to pique your curiosity so that you might be tempted to check it out, because believe me it is not worth viewing. I wish I hadn't, even if it was for only a brief moment. But at the same time it forced me to have one of those times when I understood and knew that I needed to be different from that moment on. I had to take a stand. So I wrote Oprah.

I jumped on her website and wrote an email that will probably never be read but I will always know that at this moment in my life I decided that I needed to make a change in the way I do things and that I need to take a stand for things I believe in. Big or small I need to use this chance, my chance to be heard (Muse...again. Redundant?). I need to stand for things that are true, things that are right and after scaling down my email to the 2000 character requirement I submitted my thoughts. Immediately after hitting the button I didn't know whether to feel silly (because, who am I to Oprah?) or gratified. But I did it. I took action. And it was liberating.

It made me turn to the gospel and reflect on how freaking cool it is. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of action. We must do, we must be. I love it. I am so thankful for my faith in Jesus Christ and my membership in His church. He taught me how to live. He teaches me how to be happy and find joy in life. And at this Easter season I am reminded yet again of His infinite sacrifice for little old me. He has given me the gospel and its teachings, something that I am reminded that I need to stand for. Even in the smallest way.

He gave everything for me. I guess the very least I can do is start with an email to Oprah, right?

8 comments:

Cali said...

I happened to have Oprah on while feeding Addie in the kitchen- and I was SHOCKED.. just like you. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I hated it when Oprah kept saying things like, "they are all doing it anyway" and I wanted to shout- "they aren't ALL doing it!!"

Good job writing! I thought about it all day yesterday and even talked to Bryan about it. What a sad, pathetic world we live in. Kudos to you!

Calder Family said...

Yeah for you KT! I was thinking the same thing (I haven't seen the show, but saw a part of it on her Friday show and about died!) I think I will right her as well. As you start a family you start thinking alot about your voice, and how you should stand up to protect your family. She read viewer e-mails, and I wish she would have read yours!I would have loved to here it! Thanks for being a good example!

The Bucks said...

Thanks for taking a stand, some of us are still spineless. I also happened upon Oprah's show and was very embarrassed by it. It seems like more of her shows are about this lately, so thanks for expressing what a lot of us were feeling.

a-anderson said...

Way to go. I am often shocked by what can be on so many regular shows lately. I have thought so many times that we all need to stand together against this to protect our children (and Ourselves). Thanks for taking the first step.

Geanie said...

Woay to go Katie. i haven't seen the show but I saw part of Fridays show and was horrified. What a sad messed up world we live in. Not only that subject but a lot of them that she has had on lately.
It was good to see you on Sunday. Your little girls are beautiful. We will for sure have to have lunch when you come visit Meg. Oh and I really want to hear your song.

Geanie said...

Way to go, not woay!

geeno said...

thanks for the inspiration katie jane - i love your passion!

on an unrelated note - can you post a few photos of your little macy bea - i haven't seen her lately. thanks :)

Daryl and Ashley said...

I see I am the only one that didn't see Oprah and should probably be thankful! I am so curious about what it was on! Good job for taking a stand! We are going to have to do that alot more in the future!