I told my brother Kavic about my 2010 resolution and the first thing that came out of his mouth was, "Why would you want to torture yourself?"
Hmmmm, that wasn't exactly what I was going for...torture. Something to think about I guess.
This year I wanted to do something fun for my resolution. Something that would have an element of adventure, a little hard, but ultimately something that would stretch me, in a good way. Stretching feels good, right?
What is that saying about if you constantly go down the same road it will always lead you to the same place? Some roads are good to take daily but what about those other roads? Ahhhh, so mysterious.
I like mysterious.
Not a scary mysterious.
Just an Ah-Ha mysterious. Does that make sense? Of course it doesn't.
Anyway.
This year is going to be a year of firsts. I want to try those mysterious roads. This year I am going to think of things I have never done and do them. A new adventure each month. It can be something simple or something a little more, shall we say, involved.
I have never gone more than a day or two without make up. How would it be to go a whole month without it? What would it be like to be a vegetarian? I have never climbed a mountain...a really big mountain such as Borah or Half Dome. I have never tried Greek food. I think I should do some of these things.
Do you have any ideas for me?
What is something you have always wanted to do but haven't. Something you have always wanted to try but didn't for some reason. Please tell me. I have some fun ideas but I need more! I have twelve months to fill and I need some suggestions. If you comment there just might be something in it for you. Maybe a souvenir from a place I choose to go. Or maybe just a beanie or headband if I choose your idea. But really do I need to bribe you?
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Torture vs Adventure. A comment, please.
Posted by
Katie Jane
at
1:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
20 comments:
What a great idea! You are brave. I have always wanted to run/walk a marathon . . . or maybe just a half marathon. However, that is self torture. Good luck!
so funny, I was actully thinking the same as the girl above... enter to run an official race- 3k, 5k, a half marathon- wouldn't that be awesome -to finish?! Maybe you could invite me to join you?!! I need a little push :)
what a fun take on resolutions. not just run of the mill- I love it! have fun!
I have always wanted to do a triathalon. Problem is, I would sink like a rock and swimming is the first thing you do. So I was thinking I could be part of a team and someone else could swim, someone could run, and someone could bike. Ya wanna?
Last year I took on the Ragnar Relay. That was pretty intense but I think everyone should do it once. This could be your June experience. I think Jeremy would enjoy doing it with you.
I am a total scard-E cat and don't try too many new things. But one other thing I did that I never thought I would was lead a climb up logan canyon. This is in connection to rock climbing. You know I was the first one up. Pretty scary!
What is up with all the running...that really would be torture!! I will think about it though. Oh how I loathe running.
I was going to say a half-marathon but I think the running thing is clearly something people are thinking about right now. I've also wanted to try the indoor skydiving place in Ogden. Looks fun! And get scuba certified!
Don't run a marathon - bake bread!!
Speaking of all the running, remember when we used to wake up at the crack of dawn with Jill Phillips and run at SV? Oh, good times.
My suggestion: Road trip to Portland, OR where you meet up with an old friend, try new and adventurous foods and experience one of the most unique cultural environments in the USA. You could explore the vast and beautiful Mt. Hood wilderness, climb a volcano (Mt. St. Helens), or drive down highway 101 along the Oregon Coast.
I've always wanted to climb Mt. St. Helens but I'm a chicken. It is an active volcano after all. People do it all the time though. My 8 year old cousin even did it.
Anyway...what I'm trying to say is that I miss you terribly and I'm selfishly suggesting things that would put you in my path. :)
Wear ALL leather for a week. Yup-that would be awesome!
Your should road trip to Pocatello and see if you can find someone to take care of you for a week. It might be challenging since you don't know anyone there...... he he. Seriously though, you should look up local Diners, drive-ins and dives and got to them. Brian and I still want to do that. There are several in SLC some in Boise you wouldn't have to go too far, maybe a couple weekends should do the trick.
CHEYENNE WYOMING~
ADVENTURE OR TORTURE???
Depends on the day,today~TORTURE
(We do have a really great park~ADVENTURE)
My sister and some frieds took a biking trip along the CA coast( I think it was Monterey CA)- she loved it! She said it was beautiful and she was in the best shape of her life... well, it's not running anyway! :0)
there's a place in Logan on Main street, close to 10th, called Logan Burgers. They have greek food there and it's pretty good. At least I think it's still there. Or you could come visit us in Kaysville and we could eat at the yummy greek place here!! We did help you with your love of sushi, maybe we could help you with your love of greek food too :)
I have never been a fan of new years resolutions cause most people drop them by 2 weeks into the new year. But this is actually a good one. And I think that Kavic is WRONG!
HMMMMM something that you may never have done...you could try sticking to a grocery budget for a month of like 150.00 or less and see what kind of meals you can come up with for the month. See how much you can save? and whatever you do put it in your emergency cash fund
don't shave (pits AND legs) for like 3 months or longer. :) lol
...have a baby boy... you haven't done that. ;)
I love all of the physical ideas, I will totally climb half dome with you. You could also challenge yourself mentally as well, maybe read a really hard book in a month, or try reading a different topic, just something to stretch you... luv your guts.
Let me know if you have any questions about my food storage..It is all pretty basic. my email is hodgolf7@yahoo.com if you have any! Glad that my idea helped!
I think you should write a song. If you need a topic go for something fun, sophisticated, sassy, and super cool. . . Sadie!
Or try a totally new recipe for dinner at least once a week. I seem to get into these ruts where I make the same 10 things just in a different order. So think outside your own cookbook and try something new. I have been getting on line to different sites and finding some good stuff.
Anyways, here is to finding a more adventures you on the other side of 2010!
hey, you can come any time you would like. we're doing good. You can surprise me with whatever colors you'd like. I would love you to come over! :)
I was thinking about those days in college when you used to play the guitar all the time. I was so jealous of your talent. Have you played much lately? If not, you could pick it up again and learn something new with it each month. You could be a literal "rock star" by the end of the year.
Post a Comment