What? You don't like sushi because you don't like raw fish? Well good because sushi actually means vinegar rice so you are in the clear! Jer and I love sushi so we decided to go to a class to learn how to make our favorite rolls. Takara sushi (Mmmmm...Takara sushi) offers a sweet sushi class on Monday afternoons and it was fantastic! They have the nicest chefs and it was so much fun! They teach you how to make the classic California roll and then you get to choose any of the rolls off of the menu to learn. AWESOME! We can't wait to make our own at home. So if you are feeling a little adventurous come on over for a night of sushi at the Young residence. You won't regret it!
French kiss: Tempura shrimp, cucumber, krab topped with lemon, salmon, avacado, eel sauce and spicy mayo
Crunch roll: Tempura shrimp, crab, cucumber, rolled in tempura cruchies and topped with eel sauce
Aren't they lovely?
Chef Kenny and Chef Bong were seriously nice! Thumbs up for sushi, that's right.
Shan, me and Jer. We're not too cool for sushi school!
My rolls...they made us name them and all of my names were pretty lame. Apparently I am not very witty when put on the spot. One was something like "butterfly trail". Like I said, lame.
I think they were a little nevous about us wielding their super sharp blades.
Who is that handsome sushi maker? My hot hus-BAND! He was a pro at cutting the rolls. Turns out that cutting them is way harder than it looks. Chef Kenny told Jer that one of his roll placings looked like a serpent and he thought that was cool name. Much cooler than my butterfly something or other.
Shan made the Hungry roll and it was so super tasty.
14 comments:
I love sushi but I haven't sold Derek on it yet. And all of your food looked SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD! What a fun thing to do.
Can't wait for you to make some for me... :)
I'm so jealous you got to do this. What a fun thing! Lucky... (like Napoleon Dynamite of course).
Anyway... you look so cute with your knife!
so fun! I've never had Sushi. You'll have to make me some.
the knife scares me.
It still sounds gross to me. Who puts anything called eel sauce on something they are going to eat. Really?
I love sushi! and that looks so yummy! eel is my favorite for the individual pieces. (nigari?? can't remember if that's what is called) but i too love the rolls! MMmmmmmmm.
hmmm... sorry I am not sold that it can really taste good?? I have never tasted it though but I seriously don't think I could have the will to put in into my mouth... but I love the idea of the class... looks like fun but I'm assuming you have to eat what you make, so it's probably not for me :)
That looks delish! It kinda made me drool! However the sound of eel sauce makes me re-think ever trying it! Awesome job!
we are waiting for the invite to sushi night. sounds like loads of fun...and super tasty.
I want to go to sushi school with you! i LOVE sushi!
Looks Yummy:) Great job! Did you like sushi when I lived in Logan?! How come we never went out for sushi together?!! It took a while for me to get used to eating the "Americanized sushi" but they aren't too bad. I still prefer sushi with raw fish:)
Wow! So cool! Its funny because I live on Oahu so Sushi is big here and I tried to make it once and it was a disaster! I need to take lessons. (where is it you took lessons?)
Also, I love the herbs. We are growing them too and my little girl loves to water them.
Anyway, I've read your blog for a while. I love your pictures. (I think we went to high school together...I know we went to middle school together)
I'm kind of embarrassed that I have never tried sushi, not much ethnic food here in Wyoming.
Katie- you never fail to make me laugh! really, you are so hilarious and I am not just saying that. By the way...don't hate me but I don't love sushi!! (are we still friends?)
Post a Comment