Monday, February 11, 2013

"The dark days": a pre-Valentine's day post

There was a time in my life that my husband and I refer to as "the dark days".  It was a time when I was kind of a mess. Okay, not kind of a mess, I was a hot mess.  I will explain...

I was a brand new mom of a beautiful baby girl.  My sweet Claire was in the NICU for the first 4 days of life and then sent home with us.  Breast feeding was not working.  At all.  She would scream and cry and feeding her was not even close to the bonding time described in all the "becoming a mommy" books.   I was in the pediatricians office bi-weekly to get her weighed and brainstorm what to do next.  It seemed like we tried everything and Claire was still losing weight and refusing to eat. We went to the feeding clinic and then ended up at Primary Children's Medical Center for 4 days of testing and hopefully some answers.  Instead we were sent home with a feeding tube, a mountain of bills, and labels like "failure to thrive", "eating aversion", and I am sure "horrible mom" was in there somewhere.  Just a month before our trip to PCMC  I went in for my first colonoscopy at the tender age of 23 and was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. It was not pretty.  I felt like I was treading water, barely staying afloat and not going anywhere, but I was sure that my head was going under soon.  Very soon.

My life revolved around attempting to feed Claire, feeling like a failure at motherhood, trying to cope with a body that didn't work and losing my happy self in the process.  I hated going to bed because I knew I had to wake up in the morning and feel the same emptiness and misery that I felt the day before.  I feared leaving my house because of the possibility I would have stomach problems with no bathroom in sight.  I remember wrapping Claire up in a blanket at least 2-3 times a week to stop her flailing arms and legs so that I could put her feeding tube back in place as she gagged and screamed.  I was hopeless and frustrated with God.  I would pray and I felt like my pleading and tears got no further than the ceiling.  Couldn't Heavenly Father hear me?  Didn't he know how badly I hurt physically and emotionally?  At this time of such deep pain and anguish had he forgotten me?  So, I decided I would stop praying because it didn't seem to be working.  Sometimes I just couldn't stop the tears as the despair seemed to encroach on all my former happiness leaving nothing but darkness in its place.  I was so lost.

I pulled into myself and away from the people I loved.  I remember days that I wouldn't answer my cell phone no matter who called.  I couldn't handle trying to pretend I was happy and holding things together.  And then other times when I was curled up in the corner as I sobbed to my sisters because I just didn't know what else to do. Laying feverish on the couch while I put on yet another movie for my little lady and then cringing when she woke up from a nap because that meant I had to get my body up and moving when it had no energy to give me.

I felt I had no well do draw from, trudging through each day and then feeling an overwhelming guilt because I wasn't handling my trials with more grace or faith. It was a vicious cycle that I didn't know how to stop. It was hard to have hope when everything I tried failed.  I just stopped hoping because I knew the bottom would eventually fall out.  I knew I should turn to my Heavenly Father but I felt so discouraged and heavy.  How could He possibly lift this burden that was crushing my heart, my spirit, and my faith?

 My doctor decided to put me on a liberal dose of steroids and that is when I finally turned a corner. The fog lifted just enough for me to see around the bend I am so grateful for what I saw and understood.

To be continued...

11 comments:

Jon and Melissa said...

Oh I am so glad you are telling this story, because I can see what incredible things that refiners fire did to you Katie Jane. You are GOLD! I look up to you so much! Thanks for sharing.

Mindy said...

... Uh ... I frown upon being put on hold!!! :) P.S. I think I failed to tell you how STUNNING AND GORGEOUS you are {photo from the Big Three Zero post as indisputable evidence}. That's all.

Jen said...

Oh, it is so good to see your cute face on this blog again!

I'm so glad you are telling this story because I feel like you are such an example of how to deal with trials. On many occasions, I've mentioned you to others and your amazing ability to lift up those around you.

Michelle P. said...

I think the most amazing part about you regarding this post is that you always put a brave smile on your face. Thank you for being my first Tremonton friend. I knew life was not easy for you then, but it meant so much to me to have somebody awesome to drag me out of my hermit cave. :) You were a great example for me of perseverance then and you still are amazing. I am looking forward to the continuation. I miss you, Katie!

Shannon said...

Love you, and love that you are telling your story.
We are really excited to see you guys!!!

Jill said...

i only knew claire wasn't eating and that you had a colon problem. I didn't know you were sad! I'm so sorry. I am not a good friend at all. I am dying. i want to hear the rest of the story. love you!

Britanie said...

I am so sorry you had to face those "dark days." Katie you have always been such a good example to me and I hope to be as sweet, thoughtful, and strong as you are some day. Sorry I haven't kept in touch, but I think of you often and I am so glad that I know you!

mel said...

I dated a guy in High School who had ulcerative colitis. That is a super hard trial in itself...then having issues with a new baby is over the top. I am proud of you for not fully giving up! You are amazing and have an amazing family to boot:)

geeno said...

Gosh I love getting some depth and reality in my blog reading. Thanks for sharing and helping the rest of us learn too!

allenhollie said...

just what I needed to hear today. It's people like you that share their stories and give others hope. Thank you!

allenhollie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.